Monday, November 16, 2009

Sports Talk Show

At lunch today I was watching the tv because I was sitting by myself. It was a show called "Around the Horn," on ESPN, which is, near as I can tell, a show where a bunch of older guys talk about sports. Their heads are in little screens, Brady Bunch style, and they discuss recent events or "plays" or whatever they say for significant happenings in the sports world.


I found this show fascinating, not only because it was so loud in the cafeteria that I couldn't hear what they were saying, and it was amusing to think of my own dialogue for them, (Tony, you are so much hotter than the rest of us, what's your skin care regimen?) but also because I got to wondering who would watch this show. If you like sports, can't you sit around with your own friends and talk about it instead of watching other random old guys talk about it?

Ok, so Tony wasn't that old, but still! What is the point?

To be fair, I know that many guys, (probably the ones who watch this show) would ask me what the point is of watching Jane Austen movies over and over again, but at least then there is a plot!

Another fascinating thing about this show is the name itself. Is this some sort of sports metaphor that I don't understand? Around the Horn... is that just the most manly name they could think of? What does it mean?

Ah hah! I just looked it up on Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge) and the first thing it said was "Around the Horn, not to be confused with the baseball term around the horn. I can see how that would be confusing. I know I'm confused. Confused at why any one would waste time watching this show! Maybe it is more enlightening if you can actually hear what they are saying... but somehow, I doubt it.

I read on in the Wikipedia article, in order to see what this show is all about, but I got bored.

Now, I like a good football game as much as the next guy (ok, that is a blatant lie. I don't like football games. Except outdoor ones where you get to wear cute scarves, make fun of the cheerleaders, and buy junk food,) but this whole genre of Sports Talk shows mystifies me.

No offense to any one who likes these shows... or to you Tony. You are cuter than the other guys.
This criticism should be taken with a grain of salt, because it is coming from the girl who shouted "home run" and a football game. Tony would be ashamed.

3 comments:

  1. Along with wearing cute scarves, eating junkfood, and making fun of cheerleaders add sitting with the band and scoring homeruns! :D You are my favorite. I am so sorry that I wasn't there to entertain you during lunch :( I will never miss a lunch again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what Tony's skin care regimen is? He does look so much better than the rest. Thanks for the laugh, Beth.

    ReplyDelete